Janes enables militaries, governments and defence companies to make critical decisions. Our expert-driven tradecraft, developed over 120 years, combined with human-machine teaming, delivers assured open-source intelligence across military capabilities and order of battle, equipment, events, countries, companies and markets.
Linking millions of assured data points, Janes data model creates a framework of interconnected open-source defence intelligence. This allows our customers to integrate all relevant data and connections into a single intelligence environment to deliver a more complete and accurate answer. Using Janes, our customers can use their scarce resource more effectively, to get to better decisions with higher confidence, more quickly.
Janes is recruiting a new hands-on senior journalist to manage a UK-based team of reporters delivering high-quality news and analysis across the air, land, sea, C4ISR and industry defence spheres. The successful candidate will be recognised as an expert in their field and able to lead by example, personally driven to chase exclusive stories and shape the Janes defence editorial strategy, as well as manage their reporters to deliver top-quality stories.
HOW YOU WILL CONTRIBUTE AT JANES
- Personally write high-quality news, analysis and features.
- Source, commission and edit must-have and hard-to-get content from the Janes freelance network.
- Manage an award-winning team of specialist staff journalists.
- Provide guidance and support to develop the skills of defence reporters and non-news subject matter experts.
- Partner with content editors, designers and analysts to efficiently deliver the best possible content.
- Attend exhibitions and conferences, gathering news and delivering sought-after presentations on defence subjects.
- Manage coverage of major defence exhibitions, events, exercises and operations around the region.
- Develop compelling features plans and webinar programmes for Janes knowledgeable global audience of subscribers.
- Work closely with our communications team to provide expert commentary on breaking news events.
Translate strategic editorial objectives into actionable tactical guidance, to align news content with Janes reference and forecasting requirements.
THE IDEAL SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE FOR THIS ROLE ARE
- Keen interest in military and wider defence issues, with a strong news sense and sound judgment.
- At least five years of experience in a senior editorial role.
- Proven ability to balance competing workload requirements in a fast-paced news environment.
- Degree-level education in a related field is a useful benchmark, but equivalent journalism experience and / or exposure to the defence environment are highly valued.
- Excellent written and spoken English are essential, along with the demonstrable ability to sharply edit and peer review copy.
- Deep experience of commissioning technical news and analysis, to ensure it meets exacting editorial standards.
- Desire to work closely with other departments, analysts and designers to source, arrange and present impressive data visualisation and tell compelling data-driven stories.
- Commitment to Janes core editorial standards of independence and impartiality.
- Strong team player – you will be working closely with peers in Washington, DC and Bangkok and building vital partnerships with specialist colleagues across the business and the globe.
For successful candidates, Janes provides a supportive, stretching and dynamic environment with the ability for you to grow rapidly both personally and professionally.
We value diversity at Janes and are committed to equal opportunities and creating an inclusive environment for all our colleagues. We welcome applicants regardless of ethnic origin, national origin, gender, race, colour, religious beliefs, disability, sexual orientation and age.