Janes enables militaries, governments and defence companies to make critical decisions. Our expert-driven tradecraft, developed over 120 years, combined with human-machine teaming, delivers assured open-source intelligence across military capabilities and order of battle, equipment, events, countries, companies and markets.
Linking millions of assured data points, Janes data model creates a framework of interconnected open-source defence intelligence. This allows our customers to integrate all relevant data and connections into a single intelligence environment to deliver a more complete and accurate answer. Using Janes, our customers can use their scarce resource more effectively, to get to better decisions with higher confidence, more quickly.
Janes is searching for a Weapons Analyst to join the Land and Weapons team to be based in our offices in Coulsdon, Surrey. The Weapons Analyst will support across all areas, including Infantry Weapons, Ammunition, Naval and Air Launched Weapons also supporting the Land platforms team.
HOW YOU WILL CONTRIBUTE AT JANES
- You will provide subject matter expertise on land based (Infantry) missile systems and other weapons to customers, the business and wider stakeholders that will include updating data, contributing to webinars including research creation and delivery, and writing news stories relevant to your subject.
- Provide a quality assurance service to the Land and Weapons Team by cross checking and correcting documents, reports, and other products.
- Provide input to consultancy projects as directed by the line manager and support this with research as required.
- Build relationships with manufacturers and users for research and information gathering.
- Periodically attend defence shows, conferences and events, gather pertinent information, build relationships and contacts, and as required write relevant news articles.
- Requires in-depth knowledge of selected systems as well as analytical tools; develop a network of relevant industry or country contacts, identifies opportunities and collaborates on execution of complex research topics.
- Lead the development and implementation of improvements to the product set within your area of expertise and wider land and weapons content.
THE IDEAL SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE FOR THIS ROLE ARE
- Experience in (Land based) missiles either with a manufacturer or a number of years as a user across multiple land systems.
- Proven track record in explaining technical concepts to a lay audience combined with the ability interact and gain respect from technical specialists.
- Able to develop and build relationships with other external subject matter experts.
- Be a confident communicator with proven writing skills in technical subjects and effective speaker on their specialist subject – fluent written and spoken English are essential.
- Proficient in relevant software applications including content management software and fully comfortable with Microsoft applications.
- Educated to degree level, ideally with a second qualification in a relevant technical or subject area.
- Additional languages skills in Russian or Chinese would be valued.
- Organisational and problem-solving skills including the ability to manage multiple tasks and deadlines simultaneously in a fast-paced environment.
For successful candidates, Janes provides a supportive, stretching and dynamic environment with the ability for you to grow rapidly both personally and professionally.
We value diversity at Janes and are committed to equal opportunities and creating an inclusive environment for all our colleagues. We welcome applicants regardless of ethnic origin, national origin, gender, race, colour, religious beliefs, disability, sexual orientation and age.