Janes enables militaries, governments and defence companies to make critical decisions. Our expert-driven tradecraft, developed over 120 years, combined with human-machine teaming, delivers assured open-source intelligence across military capabilities and order of battle, equipment, events, countries, companies and markets.
Linking millions of assured data points, Janes data model creates a framework of interconnected open-source defence intelligence. This allows our customers to integrate all relevant data and connections into a single intelligence environment to deliver a more complete and accurate answer. Using Janes, our customers can use their scarce resource more effectively, to get to better decisions with higher confidence, more quickly.
Janes is recruiting for a
Senior Analyst to edit the command and control (C2) section of C4ISR coverage and is based in our Coulsdon, Surrey office. Our C2 records consist of an online
reference database and sections in four of our hardcopy C4ISR books, both
containing records on the capabilities and use of equipment and systems. This
role will cover Land, Air and Joint records. Research will be conducted through open- source material and through
your growing industry and defence contacts. The Senior Analyst is part of the C4ISR
HOW YOU WILL CONTRIBUTE AT JANES
- Conduct research into the C2 market to identify and analyse technology developments, real-world implementation of systems and trends in procurement and employment.
- You will be responsible for maintaining the currency of roughly 750 reference records. Each record covers a single piece of C2 equipment or a family of equipment. Many of these are complex systems of systems. In order to maintain currency each record will need to be updated annually. You will need to investigate the technical specifications and capability of equipment, where and with whom it is in use, development over time and major contracts involving the equipment.
- Liaise with our global network of defence analysts and technical experts both within Janes and our wider network of contributors to gain insights and ensure the coherence of our information.
- Develop and maintain your own subject matter knowledge of the C2 field, building on an existing knowledge base through attendance at defence events, continued professional development and building relationships with manufacturers and users, which will give you a broad insight into the market from different perspectives.
- You will be expected to contribute to news output and customer facing products like our regular online insight briefings.
- You will as part of the wider team working on bespoke consultancy projects for a wide range of defence industry and national security customers.
THE IDEAL SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE FOR THIS ROLE ARE
- Considerable experience in the field of command and control and/or military communications. This could come from a military career as a user or operator. Alternatively, it could come from time spent in the defence industry.
- Excellent written English and the ability to adopt and write in a house style.
- Proven ability to work on projects with minimal supervision.
- A proven track record in research and analysis, ideally in a defence or technical field. This will be combined with the ability to distil this into clear and concise written reports.
- Competence in common software applications including word and excel. Janes uses our own proprietary content management system for which training will be provided, but experience working with a content management system would be advantageous.
- Educated to degree level.
For successful candidates, Janes provides a supportive, stretching and dynamic environment with the ability for you to grow rapidly both personally and professionally.
We value diversity at Janes and are committed to equal opportunities and creating an inclusive environment for all our colleagues. We welcome applicants regardless of ethnic origin, national origin, gender, race, colour, religious beliefs, disability, sexual orientation and age.