Janes enables militaries, governments and defence companies to make critical decisions. Our expert-driven tradecraft, developed over 120 years, combined with human-machine teaming, delivers assured open-source intelligence across military capabilities and order of battle, equipment, events, countries, companies and markets.
Linking millions of assured data points, Janes data model creates a framework of interconnected open-source defence intelligence. This allows our customers to integrate all relevant data and connections into a single intelligence environment to deliver a more complete and accurate answer. Using Janes, our customers can use their scarce resource more effectively, to get to better decisions with higher confidence, more quickly.
Janes is seeking a GIS Analyst to join its Order of Battle, Installation, Inventory, and Imagery (OI3) Team based in our offices in Coulsdon, Surrey. The OI3 Team provides comprehensive and connected data on the world's military forces. This data is used by the wider Janes Research, Data and Analysis team (specifically for country intelligence and military capabilities products) and Janes customers for reference and data-driven insight.
HOW YOU WILL CONTRIBUTE AT JANES
- Define and create spatial data model in terms of metadata and relationships that aligns with the existing Janes data model and helps in interconnecting various Janes datasets.
- Acquisition of new spatial data from open sources and integration of these datasets into Janes data model.
- Perform spatial analysis of existing geotagged Janes data and develop new proof of concepts from existing and new datasets in the domain of defence and security.
- Provides support for GIS data conversion if and when required.
- Mentors, trains, and oversees GIS team members as they perform their GIS tasks.
- Adept in satellite imagery analysis to identify critical national infrastructure and installations from the point of view of defence and national security.
- Develop and manage quality control procedures in GIS space.
- Manage the geospatial database to facilitate cross functional collaboration across sales, marketing, and data teams to maximize the GIS value proposition of Janes data.
- Experience performing Intelligence Preparation of the Operational Environment (IPOE).
THE IDEAL SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE FOR THIS ROLE ARE
- Proficient is using GIS Software like ArcGIS suite, QGIS, Google Earth Pro, MapInfo Pro, Maptitude, ArcSDE, Portal for ArcGIS, Python, etc.
- Extensive experience in GIS mapping, analysis, and data management
- Experience working with various Geospatial data formats (shapefile, geodatabase, tabular, CAD, KMZ, etc.)
- Experience with GIS Data Management Workflows including ETL processing and production mapping
- Familiarity with Military Geospatial Data Standards including the Ground-Warfighter Geospatial Data Model
- Proven experience working with Geospatial Content Providers including Esri’s Living Atlas, Open Streetmap, and other open sources
For successful candidates, Janes provides a supportive, stretching and dynamic environment with the ability for you to grow rapidly both personally and professionally.
We value diversity at Janes and are committed to equal opportunities and creating an inclusive environment for all our colleagues. We welcome applicants regardless of ethnic origin, national origin, gender, race, colour, religious beliefs, disability, sexual orientation and age.