Janes enables militaries, governments and defence companies to make critical decisions. Our expert-driven tradecraft, developed over 120 years, combined with human-machine teaming, delivers assured open-source intelligence across military capabilities and order of battle, equipment, events, countries, companies and markets.
Linking millions of assured data points, Janes data model creates a framework of interconnected open-source defence intelligence. This allows our customers to integrate all relevant data and connections into a single intelligence environment to deliver a more complete and accurate answer. Using Janes, our customers can use their scarce resource more effectively, to get to better decisions with higher confidence, more quickly.
Janes is recruiting for a Research Analyst to be part of the team based in our offices in Bangalore, India. The role of Research Analyst involves working with an already set team of dedicated professionals on an intensive, business critical project to structure, standardize and refine Janes Aerospace and Defence data.
The successful applicant will have the opportunity to join an established team, taking a key role in projects that will deliver enhanced data solutions for high-end customers through the rationalization, structuring and linking of data. Attention to detail, an eye for consistency, understanding of data architecture and knowledge of Microsoft Excel are essential attributes and previous experience in a data orientated role is highly desirable.
HOW YOU WILL CONTRIBUTE AT JANES
- Data development: Assisting in identifying and establishing, as an ongoing task, data standards that will enable all Janes data to be modular, allowing greater flexibility in delivery for customer specific requirements.
- Data structuring: Producing high quality structured data output by rigorously enforcing structured data templates and carefully managing the data capture process to provide customers with datasets that can be easily interrogated.
- Cross-content linking: Creating linkages between discreet datasets across the Aerospace and Defence product area, multiplying the value of data by creating relationships with other relevant fields.
- Data governance: Reviewing the work of peers as and when assigned and providing quality assurance. Ensuring correctness, currency, completeness and consistency of data through rigorous checking and peer review. Examining data across varying content sets, using look-up tables to find flaws, before amending or removing incorrect, incomplete, improperly formatted, or duplicated data.
- Ad-hoc consultancy projects: Undertaking data orientated projects as required, involving the assessment, rationalization and cleaning of data.
THE IDEAL SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE FOR THIS ROLE ARE
- Conversant with advanced features (viz macros, formulas) in MS Excel, MS Word and Power Point, PowerBI.
- Prefer working experience in any of the tools viz - Data Analytics/KNIME/Tableau/SQL or similar for examining the raw data and to suggest innovative solutions/models/theories.
- Ability to sift through large amount of data and parse information from various sources.
- Excellent attention to detail and a logical approach to problem solving.
- Experience of working within a data environment (databases, data transformation, information sciences or similar) or Categorization/classification.
- Possess excellent oral, written communication and presentation skills.
- Ability to adapt quickly to work process changes. Accept new challenges and roles as and when assigned.
- Demonstrate sound understanding of classifications of platforms, systems and specifications related to Military equipment and classify them in various categories depending upon their role and type will be an added advantage.
- University Bachelor’s/Master’s Degree (Engg/ International Relations/Maritime Defence & Security/Defence and Strategic Studies/Defence and National Security Studies) or equivalent.
For successful candidates, Janes provides a supportive, stretching and dynamic environment with the ability for you to grow rapidly both personally and professionally.
We value diversity at Janes and are committed to equal opportunities and creating an inclusive environment for all our colleagues. We welcome applicants regardless of ethnic origin, national origin, gender, race, colour, religious beliefs, disability, sexual orientation and age.